As the community grew, the need for some form of education became more imminent. The first school classes were held in a house that Mr. W.R. Ferguson had constructed on S.W. 2-56-5. In the winter of 1912 Mr. Lewis Blacker was hired as teacher, by the pupils' parents, as there was no organized district at the time. His salary was fifteen dollars a month. The pupils were: Max and Ray Ferguson, Walter, Ethel, Herbert and Olive McGee. The settlers applied to the Department of Education to have a School District formed.
This is an excerpt from the Alberta Gazette, May 15 1912