Community News 1996
Global warming which we often hear about never reached Ferguson Flats in 1996. Winter was long and cold with spring being late. As a result, seeding and planting were delayed. June continued being wet and cool, setting the record for the lowest number of hours of sunshine. Even July was rather a bit disappointing. Fortunately most of the hay crops were very good and were baled under sunny skies. Grain crops were the best in years but once again poor weather hampered harvesting and some fields were left for combining in the spring. On Nov. 4th we received a heavy snowfall and winter had us in its grip from then on with no reprieve in sight.
BIRTH: There were no new arrivals in the district but we had a number of proud grandparents:
- Ed and Ella Hillebrand – granddaughter Erin Hannah, born to Roxanne and Robert Punko
- Harry and Bernice Zapesocki – grandson, Tell Jason, born to Maria and Tom May
- Elsie Grekul – Grandson born to Wendy and Dwight Yarmuch
- Gwen Nelson – Grandson Edward Chris born to Brenda and Dale Evjen. Great granddaughter Kara Ann born to Susie Nelson
- Stewart Peterson to Becky Matthews – Jul 21st
- Lily Thomson to Gerald Belland – August 17th
- Penny Bullock to John Forsyth – Jul 6th (Penny is Gwen Nelson’s grand-daughter)
- Tammy Gottenbos (nee Nelson) daughter of Charles and Sharon Nelson died Sept. 20th at the age of 26
- Hector Riach – age 84 – Nov. 15th
- Joan Gray of Tofield passed away at the age of 75. Joan and Miss f. Zaccaglini taught Bible Classes at the school here in the 40’s and 50’s
- Margaret Moren (nee Lorenson) of Vernon B.C. who taught at the Fern Chapel School in the early 30’s
- Edna Wiltzen (nee McClain) of N.S. died in Dec. Edna was a descendant of the pioneer McClain family and attended the Fern School Chapel
- Former residents of Primrose: Pauline LaPrade (nee Fedyk) age 72 and Lucy Clague, age 85, both of Edmonton.
- Tom Bayduza – from the F.G. Miller High School
- Stephen Bayduza – U. of A. – Bachelor of Science
- Anthony Bayduza – U. of A. –Bachelor of Science – Mining Eng.
- Gabe Bayduza purchased Millie Orr`s flower shop in Elk Point.
- Joseph Martin of Vernon B.C. and a one time resident of F.F. was a 649 (Lottery) winner of 5.2 million dollars.
- Tyler Morris had the misfortune of losing his pig barn in a fire in March.
- Trevor Dunham suffered injury to his hand in a baler accident.
- Former resident Henry Ashby suffered burns in an accidental fire during a hunting trip.
- Olive Nelson celebrated her 70th birthday in October.
- Ray and Beulah (nee Nelson) Williams of Edmonton celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary with family and friends in Nov.
- Orin and Donna Ockerman won first prize in the E-Can Big Buck Contest
- Jim Bodnar and Daniel Peterson won the local F.F. Cribbage Tournament. Jim Bodnar went on to win first place in the finals playoffs.
- Bob and Sylvia Merrick took up residence on the former Orin Ockerman property. Orin and Donna moved further south into a new home.
- Judy Ockerman and Eugene Bayduza won the F. F. Whist Series.
- Doug and Lori Nelson moved into the residence formerly occupied by Ed and Elaine Babenek who have moved to Gwen Nelson`s farm
Visitors to the district included Danish relatives who came to visit the Nelson families. Allen Clark and his wife from England came to visit the farm where his grandfather Harry Clark once lived. Also relatives from New Jersey and Winnipeg came to Olga Ockerman`s home.
Oil activity continues throughout the district with the development of many pads for slant drilling.
The community enjoyed an adult Christmas party with a potluck supper and entertainment. The next afternoon the children enjoyed their own party where Santa paid his annual visit.